Categories

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Natural Ways to Induce Labor

This week i am 39 WEEKS PREGNANT! Ok, only 1 more week to my due date. Great? It's really soon. BUT THEN MY DOC LETS HIS PATIENTS GO TILL 42 WEEKS SO WHAT IF BABY DOESNT COME OUT. Ya, my doctor is great and everything, he wants the best for his patients and all and believes in the "natural way" but this last few days have been so torturous I feel really REALLY depressed. I hate to keep complaining but I really am miserable.

I really want this baby out of me ASAP! My mood has been pretty bad lately because of all the pain I'm feeling all over. I can barely walk because of the pressure in my pelvis.  Everyone is like "it's only a week or so only what...you already went through 9 months". Easy to say! Wait till you're pregs, you'll understand how tough the last few weeks are. I can't "enjoy pregnancy" anymore. I hate how I'm feeling everyday. I wake up extremely disappointed everyday cus I haven't gone into labor. I have started trying a lot of natural ways to induce labor and well, some do give me rather strong contractions while I'm at it but none works because as you can see, I am still here with a baby in my belly. 

Here are some Natural and Safe Ways to Induce Labor. Please don't try it if you are under Week 38 as it might be too early!

1) Eat Date Fruit

It is concluded that the consumption of date fruit in the last 4 weeks before labour significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labour, and produced a more favourable, but non-significant, delivery outcome. The results warrant a randomised controlled trial."
Just bought a packet of dates so imma munch on them later!
2) Sex
Sex is a commonly suggested method of natural induction due to semen containing prostaglandins – which help to ripen the cervix. 
I did not try it because I am absolutely grossed out by my body I can't feel sexy :( i feel uncomfortable being touched and cuddled. It's really quite sad whenever I look at my expanded body filled with stretchmarks. My stretchmarks situation is getting from bad to worse. I don't know of anyone with a worser case than mine. What makes me even more annoyed is that I have been religiously applying the best stretchmark prevention oils and creams throughout but nothing works!
3) Nipple Stimulation
Nipple stimulation produces oxytocin and can produce some strong effects, so you can try stimulating your nipples (including your areola, as a baby would when sucking) with your fingers, massaging one at a time. An alternate option is if you are still feeding a toddler, let him attach and the sucking action will do the same thing.
Massage the first nipple for 5 minutes (when there are no contractions), then wait to see what happens (around 15 mins or so) before doing more. It’s a good idea to take your mind off things by getting on with your usual duties than sitting and waiting for something to happen – so try and keep busy!
This was something I did almost everyday since I hit Week 38. I did feel contractions every now and then! Sometimes it gets so strong I'll get all excited cus it might be it! Then I'll go to sleep in hope to wake up in labor but sadly, it hasn't happened yet. :( 

4. Eat Pineapples

Pineapple, mango, and kiwi contain en enzyme called bromelain that is supposed to work like a prostaglandin, ripening and softening the cervix.

I ate a whole pineapple (small one) one day and had cramps thinking it's gonna happen. Then that night, I had diarrhea and was in and out of the toilet all night. Plus they said diarrhea was a sign of labor too so it got me so excited! Sadly, it didn't work for me but i actually think it might work for some people!

5. Eat Spicy Food

It didn't work for me though and I'm not surprised because I eat spicy food everyday. Not even Mala Xiang Guo or Steamboat would work on me. My body is too used to extremely spicy food. But if you aren't such a die hard chilli lover like I am, it might work for you!

6. Raspberry Leaf Tea

Raspberry Leaf is a uterine tonic, which also has added benefits after the birth for breastmilk production.
Some women like Raspberry Leaf tea, however if you don’t like the taste or want a specific, stronger dose, you might like to buy some from your health food store. It’s generally recommended anytime after 12 weeks in a healthy pregnancy – make sure you check with your medical carer and a naturopath for doses and to see if it’s appropriate for you.
Haven't tried this but am on a hunt for this! No idea where I can get it in Singapore. 

7. Sweeping Membranes (done by doctor)

Sweeping the membranes involves your medical carer separating the membranes from the cervix by vaginal exam. This may be a little uncomfortable for some women and on the other hand, some have said they didn’t feel much at all. Some spotting or bleeding may occur as a result and some find they have irregular contractions after a sweep, which may be uncomfortable and still not progress into labour.
A sweep can be performed on women who are at term and have no other complications.
Ideally though this method is more of a last resort of all of these methods, as it is invasive and not really natural. You also give bacteria the opportunity to grow when you have things unnecessarily inserted into your vagina, right up to your cervix.
As mentioned, my doctor is extremely pro natural. He doesn't even check if I'm dilated or not and do any vaginal checks on me. So there's no way I can get this sweep done but you can try your doctor! I have read forums of people doing the sweep in the morning/afternoon and then going into labor at night!
8. Acupressure Treatments
Try self-applied finger pressure. Firmly press the "webbing" located between the the thumb and index finger for about one minute and release. Press or rub the large muscle located between the neck and the shoulder. Another pressure point to try: the area on the back above the buttocks and lower back. Finally, find the pressure point inside the leg above the ankle or the one on the outside of the ankle just behind the bony 
Tried. Didn't get any contractions or feel any different though.
9. Walking
If your body is ready to give birth, walking can help induce labor or encourage stronger, more regular contractions once labor gets underway. Walking uses the force of gravity to pull the baby down and to put gentle pressure on the cervix, which encourages dilation. Walking also helps to move the baby into the correct position for birth
Haven't done much walking because of the pressure in my pelvis but everyone highly suggests I do it to get labor started faster. 
Although none worked for me YET, I'm going to keep trying most of it till this baby is out! Hope this post was helpful for you. 
 Baby Boy, when will you be ready to meet Mummy?!